(Family Features) Taking care of your heart health requires a commitment to the right routines and smart decisions, such as adopting a heart-healthy diet. Foods you might already have in your kitchen can offer powerful vitamins, minerals, and beneficial plant compounds that may help contribute to heart health.
Decades of research shows that each 8-ounce serving of 100% orange juice, such as Florida Orange Juice, is packed with key nutrients and valuable plant compounds, which may play a beneficial role in helping lower blood pressure and other risk factors for heart disease. Consider these additional heart health benefits of 100% orange juice:
- While many people associate vitamin C with its ability to help promote a healthy immune system, it’s also been shown to support cardiovascular health. Orange juice is an excellent source of vitamin C providing more than 100% of the recommended daily value in an 8-ounce glass.
- In several research studies, higher intakes of the flavonoids typically found in citrus were associated with reduced risk for cardiovascular disease and stroke.
- In one 8-ounce serving, 100% orange juice provides 10% of the daily value of potassium, which is an electrolyte that helps maintain fluid balance affecting blood pressure. Diets containing foods that are good sources of potassium and low in sodium may reduce the risk of high blood pressure and stroke.
- Some studies found folate and vitamin B6, both water-soluble vitamins, may help protect against heart disease by lowering homocysteine levels in the blood, an amino acid believed to cause damage to the arteries and increase the risk of blood clots when elevated. One 8-ounce glass of orange juice contains 15% of the daily value of folate and 8% of the daily value of vitamin B6.
“Drinking Florida Orange Juice is not only delicious, it delivers a powerful combination of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and beneficial plant compounds,” said Dr. Rosa Walsh, director of scientific research at the Florida Department of Citrus. “From helping to reduce hypertension to fighting inflammation, it is an excellent choice to include in a heart-healthy diet.”
You can add the heart health benefits of 100% orange juice to your diet with the powerfully nutritious punch of Orange Juice Shrimp Quinoa Bowls, the perfect mixture of textures with tangy, spicy, and sweet flavors. Or start the day strong with a Florida Sunshine Grapefruit Smoothie for a breakfast beverage that requires just a few minutes of prep and blending.
Find more heart healthy inspiration at floridacitrus.org.
Orange Juice Shrimp Quinoa Bowls
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 cup Florida Orange Juice
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined