To Make the Gingerbread Syrup:
Add the water into the saucepan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Stir as you add the sugar so it would dissolve faster.
- Add the spices and boil.
- Reduce the heat and let simmer for 25 minutes before removing from the pan to cool.
- Strain the spices and pour them into a bottle with a cover.
To Make Gingerbread Hot Chocolate:
In a small saucepan over low heat, gently heat the milk. Stir it constantly with a whisk, and do not let it come to a boil or scald.
- Gently heat the milk in a saucepan, constantly stirring it with the whisk but be careful not to let it boil.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and add the hot cocoa mix. Stir until dissolved.
Pour the spiced rum or ginger vodka into a mug with the gingerbread syrup.
- Pour the hot cocoa and stir until combined.
- Garnish with the cinnamon stick and serve.
You can use ground ginger to substitute for fresh ginger, and you can also make this drink non-alcoholic by skipping the alcohol, which is, in fact, very mild in this recipe.