Lemon Squeezer: What It Is & How It Works
A lemon squeezer, sometimes called a lemon juicer or lemon press, is a handy little device used to extract juice from lemons and other citrus fruits. There are different types of lemon squeezers available, including handheld lemon juicers and electric lemon squeezers.
Handheld juicers or hand juicers are probably the most common and are perfect for making cocktails at home. A handheld lemon juicer is a simple device that consists of two handles, a juice cup, and a reamer. The reamer is the part of the juicer that is used to extract juice from the lemon.
When using a handheld juicer, the user cuts the lemon in half and places it into the juice cup with the cut side facing down. They then press the handles together, which pushes the reamer into the lemon, extracting the juice. This is perfect for extracting small amounts of juice at time.
Advantages Of Using A Lemon Squeezer
Using a lemon squeezer has several advantages over manually juicing citrus fruits. These advantages include:
- Efficiency – A lemon squeezer allows you to extract juice from a lemon quickly and efficiently, without wasting any juice.
- Consistency – A lemon squeezer ensures that you extract the same amount of juice from every lemon, which is essential for making consistent cocktails.
- Ease Of Use – A handheld lemon juicer is very easy to use, and it doesn’t require any special skills or knowledge.
- Size – Handheld juicers are pretty small and don’t take up much space, so you don’t have to worry about storing a larger appliance in your already-cramped kitchen cabinets.
Tips For Using a Lemon Squeezer for Cocktail Making
If you want to use a lemon squeezer to make cocktails, here are some tips to help you get the best results:
- Choosing The Right Lemon Squeezer For The Job – When choosing a lemon squeezer, make sure to select one that is suitable for making cocktails. A handheld juicer is perfect for home bartenders, while electric lemon squeezers are more suitable for larger volumes.
- Preparing Citrus Fruits For Juicing – Before juicing citrus fruits, make sure to wash them thoroughly. If you’re using a handheld juicer, cut the lemon in half and maybe remove any seeds at the surface before placing the lemon (or lime) into the juice cup, just to avoid getting the juice clogged. The point of the juicer is to remove seeds, though, so don’t worry too much about it.
- Maintaining & Cleaning A Lemon Squeezer – After using a lemon squeezer, make sure to clean it thoroughly. Handheld juicers can be washed by hand or in the dishwasher (depending on the material). If you’re using an electric lemon squeezer, make sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for cleaning and maintenance.
- Getting The Most Juice Out Of Your Citrus – To extract the most juice from your citrus fruits, roll them firmly on a countertop before cutting them in half. This will help break down the pulp and release more juice.
- Storing Freshly Squeezed Juice – Freshly-squeezed juice can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. To prevent oxidation, store the juice in an airtight container.
Choosing The Right Lemon Squeezer
If you’re in the market for a lemon squeezer, there are a few things you should consider to ensure you choose the best one for your needs. Here are five tips to help you choose the best lemon squeezer:
Lemon squeezers are typically made from either metal or plastic. Metal squeezers are generally more durable and can last for many years with proper care. Look out for a painted coating on the metal, though, which easily peels– especially when washed in the dishwasher.
Plastic squeezers, on the other hand, are often cheaper and lightweight, making them more convenient to use and store. They can be easier to clean by throwing in the dishwasher and are less likely to scratch surfaces, but they’re also less durable.
Type Of Squeezer
There are two main types of lemon squeezers: handheld and electric. Handheld squeezers are the most common and are perfect for home use when you don’t need to get a lot of juice. They’re easy to use and don’t require any power source, so you can even take them camping for fireside Margaritas!
Electric squeezers are more suitable for larger volumes and commercial use. They’re more expensive than handheld squeezers, but they’re faster and can handle larger quantities of fruit.
Size & Capacity
Consider the size of the squeezer and the amount of juice it can hold or produce. If you’re making cocktails at home, a handheld squeezer with a capacity of 1-2 ounces may be sufficient. If you’re making large quantities of juice or you’re using the squeezer for commercial purposes, you may want to consider a larger capacity squeezer.
Finally, consider the price of the squeezer. Handheld squeezers are generally more affordable than electric squeezers. However, there can be a wide range of prices within each category, so it’s important to find a squeezer that fits your budget without sacrificing quality or durability. But keep in mind that investing in a high-quality squeezer can save you money in the long run, as you won’t need to replace it as frequently.
Handheld lemon juicers are perfect for home bartenders, and they are easy to use and maintain, so we recommend starting there if you’re newer to mixology and/or don’t plan to entertain a lot. If you are looking to up your cocktail game, consider investing in a lemon squeezer. Your cocktails will thank you.